Swimming with White tip reef sharks

Thursday, 2 February 2017

A very delayed post AGAIN however wifi in New Zealand doesn't come cheap... sigh. Currently in the Bay of Islands having our first rainy day in a while (sorry for all back home) I thought today would be a good day to share with you all one of the best experiences of mine and Craig's trip so far!



If you had told me before I left that I would be swimming with sharks I probably would have laughed/cried however when in Fiji, why not?! When staying on arguable our fav island, Naqalia, they were offering a trip costing around £20 where you got to swim with white tipped reef sharks. Not completely harmless but also not very dangerous these sharks are ‪around 4-5‬ feet long and are extremely majestic if not a tad scary. Looking into the boat and seeing them circling the bottom was a surrealexperience especially when Jack (one of the guys taking us on the trip) said 'go on then jump in' - it felt completely unnatural! Jack took fish to feed the sharks with, part of my thinking was this was to stop the sharks eating us - haha - but I think it was more to attract them to where we were swimming. They literally circle around you and swim right up to your face, an amazing experience if like me, you're fascinated by these wonderful creatures. I even touched one as it swam past!


In total we got to spend around 20 minutes swimming in the water with them until getting back on the boat. I would 100% do it again, it was amazing to just see the sharks swimming in the wild let alone swim with them! I can't imagine how scary it would be to be out in open water when a hungry great white is about (I'd rather not think about it) as they really do look so cold and emotionless (terrifying) and these were just tiddlers! If you ever get the chance to experience something like this I urge you to DO IT!

Elly x

No comments:

Post a Comment