Keeping fit whilst travelling

Monday, 14 November 2016

So seeing as one of the main things I like doing when I travel to new places is to try loads of yummy new food, it was only right that I counter balanced this with a little bit of exercise - plus it's nice to keep fit and healthy, especially as I'm away for such a long time. At home I would regularly use my local gym around 3-4 times a week and took part in spin and Pilates classes. However here in Japan where I'm moving from place to place it's hard to find classes or a gym, so I'm making use of what I have around me. 


There're three things I have been doing so far: 
1. Running - which has been great as it allows me to see a lot more of the surrounding area I'm living in. It's not like at home where I can find running a little dull, when you're in a new place it's a lot more fun and exciting. (Below is a pic of me running through Yokohama).
2. Mini HIIT sessions in our room - involving ab exercises (crunches, leg raises, bicycle crunches...) and weight baring exercises using my rucksack, for example putting my rucksack on (which is roughly 8kg) and doing sets of squats and lunges. 
3. Pilates - as I've been doing Pilates now for roughly a year I've learnt a lot of the movements and routines so have been practising them in our room (when there is floor space). Not only is Pilates a great exercise to improve muscular strength and tone but I find it a great way to relax and stretch. 

After a two month stint in Japan and a short stop in Hong Kong we are off to Fiji where hopefully everyone won't be able to tell how many sushi rolls and chocolate waffles I've eaten...




No comments:

Post a Comment