Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls (if you're scared of falling like me)

Saturday, 19 November 2016

Okay so the title of this post may lead you to think that this was a bad experience, but it really wasn't, it was amazing, just a tad scary at times - but as Baz Luhrmann once said "Do something that scares you every day"! Anyway, last Sunday myself and Craig thought it would be cool to check out our surrounding area a little more, and venture a bit further than beautiful Lake Biwa. Our lovely Air BnB hosts had told us about a near by hike you can do to a waterfall, so that morning we packed our rucksacks and headed to Kitakomatsu Station where we began the hike.



Now I'm a very outdoorsy kinda gal and love being out and about walking - and I'm not afraid of getting a bit dirty, however one thing that I am afraid of is falling. I wouldn't necessarily say I'm scared of heights as I'm fine going up skyscraper buildings and peering off the edge - it's more the fear of climbing up something and falling off (hence why you'll never get me doing Go Ape). Now call me naive but when I first thought of hike, I just thought 'very steap walk' - oh how I was wrong! At first we made it to one part of the waterfall (see pictures below) and thought 'wow that wasn't too bad' as we had just walked up a big hill and a few steap steps, but we got chatting to two very sweet Japanese guys who informed us that the REAL waterfall was a lot further on- and pointed to a very unstable looking rock face (sorry to both our mums, please don't panic).



After climbing up the rocks we reached a vertical ladder. At first I was frozen down the bottom yelling to Craig "I'm NOT going up there". With a little persuasion from Craig, telling me that the waterfall was stunning and I had to see it, I very slowly made it up, and my God was he right. The hike itself was so worth it to see the waterfall up close, it was 40 meters and really breathtaking. The hike down was just as scary but rather amusing for a few Japanese guys who enjoyed watching me bum shuffle the entire way... I have to say though it was defiantly one of the most exhilarating things I have ever done and I'm actually quite proud that I reached the top, with that said I still don't think I'll be booking up Go Ape when I get home.



Elly x

No comments:

Post a Comment